Transportation Manager - Routes
Company: Waste Management
Posted on: November 18, 2022
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age,
national origin, disability, or veteran status.
I. Job Summary
Manages collection routes and driver/laborer performance on a daily
basis in single or multiple line of businesses: Residential,
Commercial, Roll-Off, Port-o-let, Tractor Trailer, HCS, and Bagster
(does not include Oilfield Services).
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may
- Organizes and schedules all necessary resources required to
accomplish activities. Coordinates daily operational needs with
- Plans, distributes, monitors, and follows-up daily route
assignments to ensure customers are serviced per company standards
- Manages the end-of-day check-in process, capturing and
communicating key service, safety, and equipment issues.
- Monitors driver and laborer time and attendance, minimizing
overtime and ensuring that drivers do not exceed limits established
by regulatory agencies (e.g., 60 hour rule).
- Reviews weekly demand / volume for routes, determines potential
gains from re-routing, and recommends re-routes to the routing
- Sets and monitors productivity, service, and safety targets for
each route and driver.
- Assists with data collection and reporting required for
incentive pay programs.
- Promotes a union free atmosphere and where appropriate,
establishes collaborative relations with unions.
- Works with functional groups to resolve employee relations and
labor relations issues.
- Acquires and coordinates temporary workers assigned to assist
drivers on routes.
- Ensures that drivers comply with physicals, drug or alcohol
tests, and training required by regulatory agencies.
- Conducts Root Cause Investigations for all injuries and
incidents, ensuring consistent discipline and retraining.
- Visits customers and customer sites to evaluate and resolve
safety issues, seeking service alternatives where
- Establishes and maintains a clean, safe work environment in
compliance with Company/Occupational Safety and Health
Administration (OSHA) standards.
- Documents problem fixes and provides instructions to
dispatch/service should problems recur.
- Communicates and follows-up on sales opportunities, problems at
customer site, DVIR repairs, container swaps, and safety issues
reported by drivers.
- Notifies customer service of delivery days for specific
- Ensures set-up errors and missed pickups are reported and
- Documents and maintains records required by regulatory agencies
such as the Department of Transportation.
- Reviews and audits documentation related to route operations on
a daily basis (e.g., DVIRs, driver time and attendance, open
tickets), following-up where appropriate.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has supervisory responsibilities for Drivers assigned to
the position. This includes responsibility for employee performance
reviews and feedback, scheduling time off, employee grievances or
complaints, pay changes and job responsibilities.
The requirements listed below are representative of the
qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Associates Degree (accredited), or in lieu of
diploma, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and two (2) years
of relevant work experience work in transportation, logistics,
warehousing, or solid waste operations.
- Experience: No previous work experience required.
- Applicable experience may be substituted for education
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Valid drivers license
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Coaching, routing assessments and leading employees are
requirements of the role.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and
work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such
as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than
30 pounds rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as
cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.) rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves
dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements part of
the work day;
- Normal setting for this job is: office setting and/or
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive
total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life
Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase
Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive
Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that
benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for,
please click "Apply.
Keywords: Waste Management, Lafayette , Transportation Manager - Routes, Executive , Lafayette, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!