Manufacturing Engineering Manager - Batteries (Hybrid Flexibility)
Company: Caterpillar Financial Services Corporation
Posted on: May 25, 2023
Career Area: Manufacturing & Supply Chain Job Description: We
are building the future. Whether it be groundbreaking products,
best in class solutions or creating a lifelong career, you can do
the work that matters at Caterpillar. With a 95-year legacy of
quality and innovation and 150 locations in countries around the
world, your impact spans the globe. Caterpillar's Electrification &
Advanced Power Solutions (E&APS) Division will focus on
delivering advanced electrified power train, zero-emissions
products/technologies, and the solutions and services associated
with these technologies. Focus areas include batteries, fuel cells,
motors, inverters, micro grid controllers, charging, energy storage
systems, lifecycle solutions/services and integration of components
for ePowertrain solutions across industries. We are looking for top
talent to build and scale the next generation of technologies,
products, and services to help our customers build a better-more
sustainable-world. We need self-motivated, intelligent, and
team-oriented individuals to make our plans a reality. Individuals
with high emotional intelligence, humility and openness to
discovery will thrive in the teams we are building. Join us! Job
Description: E+APSD (Electrification & Advanced Power Solutions
Division) currently has an opening for a Manufacturing Engineering
Manager - Batteries. This position will have the responsibility for
the manufacturing and assembly processes of all E+APSD battery
module, battery pack, charger, Energy Storage Systems (ESS),
inverter, converter, photovoltaic, fuel cell, and ePowertrain
product lines. The incumbent will report to the E+APSD Global
Manufacturing Engineering Manager located in Mossville, Illinois.
Decisions made by the incumbent will affect not only their own
unit, but potentially, all of Caterpillar, the market, and
suppliers. Those decisions will shape complex systems, multiple
products within a product line, processes or factories and
customers' perception of the company; and could have a significant
impact on sales, warranty, and future product direction and cause
an evolutionary effect on technology. The incumbent will partner
with and provide technical manufacturing and assembly guidance to
global engineering and supplier partner teams, recognizing that
this position faces ongoing change - increased competitive
pressures, increasing product complexity, and ever-increasing
customer demands. You will supervise a team leading the planning
and delivery of complex projects, continually learn and stay
abreast of innovative technology, mentor, coach, and assign daily
tasks to team members, and broaden your professional network.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to :
- Manage a work group of management and agency employees where
planning, scheduling, prioritizing, monitoring, and reviewing work
of subordinates is required. The position is responsible for all
personnel related items in the work group including establishing
impactful Simple goals, personnel career development,
capability-building, succession planning, and performance
evaluations of direct reports.
- Provide training, role development, and motivation for a staff
capable of completing objectives and implementing new technologies,
ensuring concurrent product and process design and meeting
requirements and urgent deadlines of the manufacturing/assembly
- Leadership of E+APSD product's prototype and production
manufacturing and assembly processes, equipment, capacity, and
utilization both currently and strategically into the future.
- Accountable for continuous improvement (CI) to the safety,
quality, velocity, and cost of manufacturing and assembly
operations, regularly improving takt time / cycle times as product
confidence and build methods mature (such as ergonomics, robotics,
automation, and EOL test improvements).
- Interface with many other teams within Caterpillar for
successful completion of projects, such as the E+APSD Product
Group, Engineering Design Control and Validation teams, E&T
Purchasing, Supplier Development Engineers, Operations, consuming
Caterpillar facilities' Manufacturing Engineering/Tech Services,
Business Resources, Manufacturing Technology & Solutions, and many
- Partner with E+APSD Engineering validation engineers, Supplier
Development Engineers, and supplier partners to develop and
implement robust process maps, layouts, virtual builds, PFMEAs,
control plans, statistical process controls, risk assessments, and
production build & test processes.
- Stay closely involved with E+APSD Engineering, acting as a
trusted advisor during NPI GW reviews and Design Reviews for all
Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DFMA) and volume/capacity
related activities. Regularly share build feedback and communicate
product improvements and cost savings ideas.
- Collaborate with the E+APSD NPI Leadership team, creating and
reporting out all materials for Caterpillar's NPI Management Tool
manufacturing readiness and deliverables for each NPI gateway.
- As many products are manufactured outside of Caterpillar
facilities, incumbent must work closely with supplier partners in
the development and execution of complex manufacturing
requirements, which ensure the most efficient and cost-effective
systems are used to validate quality-built products. Analyze the
supplier's current or proposed assembly methods, staffing,
equipment, and process documentation to determine feasibility /
- Travel to suppliers, both domestically and internationally, as
new processes and equipment are developed and put into service, for
periodic evaluations, and as occasional urgent needs arise. Help
resolve any issues, delays, or suggestions the supply base is
having with producing E+APSD products.
- Ensure all manufacturing and assembly related standard work,
work instructions, tools, and process controls are robust.
Regularly audit, provide feedback, and assist with improvements
- Ensure that the workgroup and supplier partners create and
document clear standard work in an organized manner for the
Manufacturing Engineering team to leverage and yield consistent
project results, in a fast-paced environment.
- As the global footprint for E+APSD products is established and
grows, incumbent will be a process and control plan expert -
ensuring that all best practices are replicated so product is built
consistently, repeatably, and to the highest quality standards -
regardless of manufacturing location.
- Review manufacturing and assembly processes and project's
results, risks, and recommendations with the E+APSD leadership
- Products in scope include most of E+APSD's products, with an
increased focus on battery module, string, packs, and power
electronic modules (PEM) for batteries.
- Protect Caterpillar's Intellectual Property. Basic
- Four-year Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or
university in a related Industrial, Manufacturing, Mechanical, or
Electrical Engineering/Technology curriculum.
- 8+ years of related manufacturing and assembly project
leadership experience with a four-year degree. In lieu of a
four-year degree, the applicant must have 12+ years of related
- Previous supervisory experience, or at least 3-5 years of
proven, related team leadership experience.
- Cross functional manufacturing expertise in: manufacturing
(welding, joining, machining, additive, etc.), assembly, line
balancing, motion & time studies, facilities, materials, logistics,
supply chain, planning support, and/or project management
- Experience with New Product Introduction and Change Management
for new technology systems and products.
- Proven experience in developing facility and workstream
layouts, Tooling, fixtures, work holding, gaging, EOL test
processes, PFMEAs, control plans, risk assessments, and delivering
- Proven experience with managing expense budgets, capital
forecasts and expenditures, and managing capital projects.
- Strong analytical ability as well as thorough knowledge
concerning Caterpillar's NPI Management Tool manufacturing
readiness and deliverables for each NPI gateway.
- Proven ability to perform complex assignments, prioritize
workload, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent Microsoft Office Skills (PowerPoint, Excel, Word,
OneNote, Teams, SharePoint, etc.).
- Excellent written and verbal communication, one-on-one, and in
larger settings. Preferred Qualifications:
- Advanced degree, such as an MBA, or master's degree in an
Industrial, Manufacturing, or Engineering related discipline.
- Lean Manufacturing and Built in Quality (BIQ) experience.
- Manufacturing and assembly experience with battery module,
battery pack, charger, Energy Storage Systems (ESS), inverter,
converter, photovoltaic, and/or fuel cell product lines.
- Design, manufacturing, or assembly experience with Power
Systems, Power Electronics, and/or Electric Drive / E-Powertrain
products that are used in Energy & Transportation (E&T) or
Resource Industries (RI).
- Experience in electronics product design, development,
simulation and analysis, or automotive electronics testing.
- Familiarity with Caterpillar manufacturing facilities,
processes, equipment, systems, and suppliers.
- Ability to be a self-starter with strong technical leadership
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively and
lead concept design reviews.
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and collaboration skills are
required to develop cooperative working relationships, deal with
sensitive issues, develop others, or persuade others inside and
outside the department to take specific actions. Additional
- The location for this hybrid position is Mossville, IL,
Lafayette, IN, Griffin, GA or Detroit, MI area. This position is a
hybrid role (3 days on-site/2 days off-site), providing flexibility
and freedom to work from a location away from the office, while
also enabling the opportunity to collaborate in person as
- Domestic relocation assistance IS available for this
- Up to 25% travel
- Visa sponsorship is NOT available
- The position posting will close on 6/5/2023 at 11:59PM CST
Employee benefit details Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have
a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our
customers who build a better world. Here you earn more than just a
salary because we value your performance. We offer a total rewards
package that provides benefits on day one (medical, dental, vision,
RX, and 401K) along with the potential of an annual bonus.
Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays
(prorated based upon hire date). Compensation & Benefits: The total
rewards package, beyond base salary includes:
- Annual incentive bonus plan*
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Paid time off plan (Vacation, Holiday, Volunteer, Etc.)
- 401k savings plan
- Health savings account (HSA)
- Flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Short and long-term disability coverage
- Life Insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Healthy Lifestyle Programs
- Employee Assistance Programs
- Voluntary Benefits (Ex. Accident, Identity Theft Protection)
*Subject to annual eligibility and incentive plan guidelines. This
employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that
require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer,
such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar
offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be
found through our employment website at . #LI-HYBRID EEO/AA
Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities,
females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are
encouraged to apply. Not ready to apply? Submit your information to
our Talent Network .
Keywords: Caterpillar Financial Services Corporation, Lafayette , Manufacturing Engineering Manager - Batteries (Hybrid Flexibility), Engineering , Lafayette, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...